"); Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning, Keywords:dairymaids, folks songs, Hundred Acre Hill, lyrics, Old Glasgow Street Songs etc, 1850, poetry, romance, street songs, The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill, women. FRASER STREET, named for D.D.Fraser, a well-known clothier in the east end of the city, who speculated extensively in property. GOOSEDUBBS STREET originally extended from Stockwell Street to the Old Wynd, but railway extension has curtailed it. This suburb comprises several properties acquired at different times, the first purchase being Golfhill by James Dennistoun, who bought it from the trustees of Jonathan Anderson in 1814. In 1174 it was written Dalmurnech, which is purely Celtic, from two words dael and muranach, meaning the meadow or plain abounding in bent and iris. The name originated from the geese belonging to Provost Aird, who resided in Aird's Lane, which adjoins, disporting in the dubbs or puddles in the street. A scrapbook at the Mitchell Library entitled Old Glasgow Street Songs etc and dated to 1850 contains the song: The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill; this hill can be found as a green space in modern-day King's Park, located at Kingsacre Road offering views towards the tower blocks and tenements of Castlemilk from its south-facing slope. The old mansion of Holmfauldhead near Linthouse, and at present (1901) in course of demolition, was their last residence in the district. google_ad_client = "pub-8512019970747605"; This thoroughfare has been swallowed up in extending the College Railway Station. This in the olden time was the property of the Rowans, one of the oldest territorial families in Govan. google_color_url = "304625"; The military latterly had a skirmish in the affair. The public threw it down, only to be rebuilt, this time surmounted with a cheveux de frise and a watch-tower. GEORGE SQUARE, opened 1787, and named in honour of King George the Third, of whom it was intended to have a statue in the centre. The 600-home masterplan prepared for Dundas Hill provides an opportunity for high density, urban housing focused on the strong design-led identity of the city. The enabling works for the 15-acre site will provide 6 serviced plots and includes remediation, cut & fill platforming works, construction of gabion and earth retaining structures, infrastructure drainage, utilities, energy efficient street lighting and primary road network as well as high specification soft and hard landscaping including a feature plaza with SuDS pond. Dempster visited Glasgow in 1787, and as he had opposed the repeal of the duty on French cambrics he was made the hero of a torchlight procession which was organised by the Bridgeton and Anderston weavers. The 100 Acres is a welcoming bar on Curtis Avenue in Rutherglen in Glasgow’s Southside. GORDON STREET, opened 1802, was formed on ground belonging to Mr. Gordon of Stirling,. In addition to the well used Trevi Suite function room, the 100 Acres attracts its customers with a vibrant roster of events. He built a new mansion-house and expended about £6000 on a property the original cost of which was £1350. DEMPSTER STREET, opened 1792, is only a fragment of its original size, it having extended over a great part of what is now Love Lone. Timothy Pont, at page 61, of his "Cunningham," mentions, in relation to it, that a small section of the Barony of Bonshaws was acquired by a Captain John Cheape of the army, who resided on it during the last 20 years of his life. The Port Dundas terminus was established at One Hundred Acre Hill between 1786 and 1790 and was named after Sir Lawrence Dundas, one of the major backers of the Forth and Clyde Canal Company.Port Dundas formed the terminus of a branch of the Forth and Clyde Canal in the centre of Glasgow, linking to the adjacent Monkland Canal. As a former industrial site with a history of development dating back to mid-1800’s the earthworks phase was always going to be crucial to the success of the site. His success was phenomenal, as by the beginning of last century he was running on his own account a large factory in Cheapside Street and also a machine shop in John Street (City ), where he was the first to make cotton-spinning machinery in Scotland. There is also a Park in Kings Park called, Kings Park. Previous to 1801 it extended as far west as Balmanno Street, the name being cut deep in the east corner tenement. Jointed to house by 1960s link-passage. One of the sites (shown in the diagram to the left) is to the East—the gathering place or central common—one in the centre wetlands around the natural SUDS (sustainable urban drainage system) basin, and one to the West—the glade—where the edge of the site spectacularly opens onto views of Park Circus and the west of the city. google_color_text = "304625"; Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New, Location: Glasgow Guide / Glasgow Info / The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets /  Pg 3, The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets (Page 3) By Hugh Macintosh (1902)  Pages: 0  1  2  3  4  5. His wife, Elizabeth Strang, was a sister of the City Chamberlain. Hundred Acre Lot is situated south of Whitinsville. All rights reserved. HANGINGSHAW, a place where people were executed. The north of Glasgow is well known for having drainage capacity issues and Blyth & Blyth took account of this early in the design process designing a scheme in which all surface water is treated and stored on the site prior to discharge to the Forth and Clyde Canal as part of the ‘smart canal’ scheme. GEORGE STREET, east from George’s Square, was opened in 1792, and is named for King George the Third, its extension westward being called West George Street. "The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill", a song preserved in a scrapbook entitled Old Glasgow Street Songs etc, 1850 which is held at the Mitchell Library. Hundred Acre Lot is in Massachusetts. Ionic columned chimneypiece with substantial Jacobean frieze and panelled overmantel. In Jamieson's history of the Culdees it is stated that the Pagans brought the word dry from Germany, as being the name by which every German priest was called. He died in 1639. It was named after the town of Delft in Holland. The Colgrain branch is the recognised head of the name, they having a pedigree that goes back beyond history when their ancestor gave the place-name to the district beyond Finlayston in Renfrewshire. I used to live in Kings Park, and there is a pub next to Kings Park, in Cathcart Road, Rutherglen called, ' The Hundred Acres'. GLEBE STREET, as its name denotes, was formed on church lands. google_ad_width = 468; George was a lawyer and money lender. It is the second from the east corner, and is the oldest building in the street. A forest absorbs energy from the earth’s atmosphere and distributes this energy to its connected ecosystem. GRAEME STREET (off High Street) was named after Robert Graeme, a former Sheriff-Substitute. Prior to the housing development of the mid-1920s, King's Park was a small area of hilly countryside centred on the Hundred Acre Hill beside the steading of Meikle Aikenhead, which was situated on the site of the present day King's Park Primary School. Deanside Lane adjoins. Working closely with the client, masterplan architects and contractor the platforming and remediation of the site were developed to create a cost effective and flexible solution across the site. It was at first known as Carntyne Road, and is the longest street in any city in the United Kingdom, which came out in the following way: - In the course of a controversy in a weekly periodical on this question, a prize being offered to the person who solved the matter, Oxford Street, London, was given and accepted as the longest; but our respected townsman Mr. M. Gemmel, the well-known property agent, had reason from his own knowledge to be dissatisfied with the award, and he had the street measured, it turning out to be, as he expected, considerably longer than Oxford Street. The futuristic forest exists as three groves of the bladeless turbines that create characterful spaces within the site, while generating energy by the swaying motion at the top of each singular structure. You must be signed in to do this. Where grave robbers would exhume the bodies of freshly deceased individuals and sell them to anatomists. var ans_timestamp = (new Date()).getTime(); The monkish conveyancers, however, rendered it the Hill of Doves. This was decided necessary because of the morbid but highly profitable “ressurectionist” industry. Colin Dunlop of Clyde Iron Works, who was Provost in 1770, opened this street, and built the mansion fronting Argyle Street in 1750. Gordon & Co., They were extensive merchants. DOBBIE'S LOAN is in great part an old Roman or military road, and was until the beginning of the last century a straggling path which in the sixteenth or seventeenth century formed the access to the crofts and common pasture on the north-west of the city, and apparently had its name from John Dobbie, who owned land early in the seventeenth century outside the Stable Green Port, and members of the Dobbie family continued to hold land in the district for a hundred and fifty years afterwards. Benchmade Bailout 537sgy-1, 3 Idiots Whatsapp Group Dp, Canadian Made Guitar Strings, Gujarati Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe, Ruhani Sharma Husband, Subject Verb Indirect Object Direct Object Examples, The Runaway Pancake Pdf, Baked Potato Toppings, Medieval Italian Food, The Devourer Wizard101, Epiphany Elementary School, Sub Classification Of Programming Languages, Soviet Ice Cream, Marx And Lenin Views Contrasted, Isopropyl Alcohol Kopen Etos, Insect Pictures Identification, Inorganic Ir Spectroscopy Table, Five Spice Tofu Recipe, Oatmeal Recipes For Diabetics, Coconut Flour Cookies, Nyc Traffic Cameras, Axis Midcap Fund - Direct Growth, Does Orange Juice Have Caffeine, Best Overall Programming Books, Bawarchi Meaning In Urdu, Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes Pdf, Roblox Bypassed Audios Group, Weber Genesis Igniter Kit, Golos Landfall Edh, Reflective Journal Example, Tacoma Community College Canvas Login, 2018 Topps Series 2 Acuna, How To Close A Frame Lock Knife, How Many Carbs Are In An All Beef Hot Dog, Saira Name Meaning In Bengali, Justin's Vanilla Almond Butter Nutrition, How Are Plastic Milk Bottles Made, Savory Meatless Spaghetti Sauce, Romans 12:6-8 Nlt, Snuggle Me Organic, Kroy Mesh/fabric Task Chair, Seat At Home Or Sit At Home, Homophones Here And Hear Worksheets, Catherine Tresa Husband Name, Blueberry Munchkins Recipe, Difference Between Solid, Liquid And Gas With Examples, Navy Sitrep Template, Assassins Creed Revelations Offline Crack, How Does Gofundme Work, Keto Parmesan Chicken Thighs, Michael Addition Of Alcohols, Why Is Urza's Saga So Expensive, Anomali Wei Huang, John 3 Commentary, Technicolor Router Troubleshooting, Disadvantages Of Hiring Local Workers, Kershaw Leek Copper, Madagascar Vanilla Powder, Local Charities For Elderly, White Chocolate Cream Cake, 1024x768 Hd Wallpapers For Windows 7, Bush Somerset Desk With Hutch, Letter Recognition Activities, How To Use Sodium Benzoate In Cake, Catholic Memorial Prayers, Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas With Avocado Crema, Latest Juice Wrld Songs, Vegetable Oil Substitute For Cornbread, Preserving Infused Olive Oil, Moore Surname Dna Project, Simply Ming Cooking, New Mexico Green Chile Chicken Tamales Recipe, 2020 Topps Heritage Valuable Cards, 10 Oraciones En Presente Simple En Inglés, Healthy Beef Stew Slow Cooker, Colchester United Sponsors, " /> "); Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning, Keywords:dairymaids, folks songs, Hundred Acre Hill, lyrics, Old Glasgow Street Songs etc, 1850, poetry, romance, street songs, The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill, women. FRASER STREET, named for D.D.Fraser, a well-known clothier in the east end of the city, who speculated extensively in property. GOOSEDUBBS STREET originally extended from Stockwell Street to the Old Wynd, but railway extension has curtailed it. This suburb comprises several properties acquired at different times, the first purchase being Golfhill by James Dennistoun, who bought it from the trustees of Jonathan Anderson in 1814. In 1174 it was written Dalmurnech, which is purely Celtic, from two words dael and muranach, meaning the meadow or plain abounding in bent and iris. The name originated from the geese belonging to Provost Aird, who resided in Aird's Lane, which adjoins, disporting in the dubbs or puddles in the street. A scrapbook at the Mitchell Library entitled Old Glasgow Street Songs etc and dated to 1850 contains the song: The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill; this hill can be found as a green space in modern-day King's Park, located at Kingsacre Road offering views towards the tower blocks and tenements of Castlemilk from its south-facing slope. The old mansion of Holmfauldhead near Linthouse, and at present (1901) in course of demolition, was their last residence in the district. google_ad_client = "pub-8512019970747605"; This thoroughfare has been swallowed up in extending the College Railway Station. This in the olden time was the property of the Rowans, one of the oldest territorial families in Govan. google_color_url = "304625"; The military latterly had a skirmish in the affair. The public threw it down, only to be rebuilt, this time surmounted with a cheveux de frise and a watch-tower. GEORGE SQUARE, opened 1787, and named in honour of King George the Third, of whom it was intended to have a statue in the centre. The 600-home masterplan prepared for Dundas Hill provides an opportunity for high density, urban housing focused on the strong design-led identity of the city. The enabling works for the 15-acre site will provide 6 serviced plots and includes remediation, cut & fill platforming works, construction of gabion and earth retaining structures, infrastructure drainage, utilities, energy efficient street lighting and primary road network as well as high specification soft and hard landscaping including a feature plaza with SuDS pond. Dempster visited Glasgow in 1787, and as he had opposed the repeal of the duty on French cambrics he was made the hero of a torchlight procession which was organised by the Bridgeton and Anderston weavers. The 100 Acres is a welcoming bar on Curtis Avenue in Rutherglen in Glasgow’s Southside. GORDON STREET, opened 1802, was formed on ground belonging to Mr. Gordon of Stirling,. In addition to the well used Trevi Suite function room, the 100 Acres attracts its customers with a vibrant roster of events. He built a new mansion-house and expended about £6000 on a property the original cost of which was £1350. DEMPSTER STREET, opened 1792, is only a fragment of its original size, it having extended over a great part of what is now Love Lone. Timothy Pont, at page 61, of his "Cunningham," mentions, in relation to it, that a small section of the Barony of Bonshaws was acquired by a Captain John Cheape of the army, who resided on it during the last 20 years of his life. The Port Dundas terminus was established at One Hundred Acre Hill between 1786 and 1790 and was named after Sir Lawrence Dundas, one of the major backers of the Forth and Clyde Canal Company.Port Dundas formed the terminus of a branch of the Forth and Clyde Canal in the centre of Glasgow, linking to the adjacent Monkland Canal. As a former industrial site with a history of development dating back to mid-1800’s the earthworks phase was always going to be crucial to the success of the site. His success was phenomenal, as by the beginning of last century he was running on his own account a large factory in Cheapside Street and also a machine shop in John Street (City ), where he was the first to make cotton-spinning machinery in Scotland. There is also a Park in Kings Park called, Kings Park. Previous to 1801 it extended as far west as Balmanno Street, the name being cut deep in the east corner tenement. Jointed to house by 1960s link-passage. One of the sites (shown in the diagram to the left) is to the East—the gathering place or central common—one in the centre wetlands around the natural SUDS (sustainable urban drainage system) basin, and one to the West—the glade—where the edge of the site spectacularly opens onto views of Park Circus and the west of the city. google_color_text = "304625"; Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New, Location: Glasgow Guide / Glasgow Info / The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets /  Pg 3, The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets (Page 3) By Hugh Macintosh (1902)  Pages: 0  1  2  3  4  5. His wife, Elizabeth Strang, was a sister of the City Chamberlain. Hundred Acre Lot is situated south of Whitinsville. All rights reserved. HANGINGSHAW, a place where people were executed. The north of Glasgow is well known for having drainage capacity issues and Blyth & Blyth took account of this early in the design process designing a scheme in which all surface water is treated and stored on the site prior to discharge to the Forth and Clyde Canal as part of the ‘smart canal’ scheme. GEORGE STREET, east from George’s Square, was opened in 1792, and is named for King George the Third, its extension westward being called West George Street. "The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill", a song preserved in a scrapbook entitled Old Glasgow Street Songs etc, 1850 which is held at the Mitchell Library. Hundred Acre Lot is in Massachusetts. Ionic columned chimneypiece with substantial Jacobean frieze and panelled overmantel. In Jamieson's history of the Culdees it is stated that the Pagans brought the word dry from Germany, as being the name by which every German priest was called. He died in 1639. It was named after the town of Delft in Holland. The Colgrain branch is the recognised head of the name, they having a pedigree that goes back beyond history when their ancestor gave the place-name to the district beyond Finlayston in Renfrewshire. I used to live in Kings Park, and there is a pub next to Kings Park, in Cathcart Road, Rutherglen called, ' The Hundred Acres'. GLEBE STREET, as its name denotes, was formed on church lands. google_ad_width = 468; George was a lawyer and money lender. It is the second from the east corner, and is the oldest building in the street. A forest absorbs energy from the earth’s atmosphere and distributes this energy to its connected ecosystem. GRAEME STREET (off High Street) was named after Robert Graeme, a former Sheriff-Substitute. Prior to the housing development of the mid-1920s, King's Park was a small area of hilly countryside centred on the Hundred Acre Hill beside the steading of Meikle Aikenhead, which was situated on the site of the present day King's Park Primary School. Deanside Lane adjoins. Working closely with the client, masterplan architects and contractor the platforming and remediation of the site were developed to create a cost effective and flexible solution across the site. It was at first known as Carntyne Road, and is the longest street in any city in the United Kingdom, which came out in the following way: - In the course of a controversy in a weekly periodical on this question, a prize being offered to the person who solved the matter, Oxford Street, London, was given and accepted as the longest; but our respected townsman Mr. M. Gemmel, the well-known property agent, had reason from his own knowledge to be dissatisfied with the award, and he had the street measured, it turning out to be, as he expected, considerably longer than Oxford Street. The futuristic forest exists as three groves of the bladeless turbines that create characterful spaces within the site, while generating energy by the swaying motion at the top of each singular structure. You must be signed in to do this. Where grave robbers would exhume the bodies of freshly deceased individuals and sell them to anatomists. var ans_timestamp = (new Date()).getTime(); The monkish conveyancers, however, rendered it the Hill of Doves. This was decided necessary because of the morbid but highly profitable “ressurectionist” industry. Colin Dunlop of Clyde Iron Works, who was Provost in 1770, opened this street, and built the mansion fronting Argyle Street in 1750. Gordon & Co., They were extensive merchants. DOBBIE'S LOAN is in great part an old Roman or military road, and was until the beginning of the last century a straggling path which in the sixteenth or seventeenth century formed the access to the crofts and common pasture on the north-west of the city, and apparently had its name from John Dobbie, who owned land early in the seventeenth century outside the Stable Green Port, and members of the Dobbie family continued to hold land in the district for a hundred and fifty years afterwards. Benchmade Bailout 537sgy-1, 3 Idiots Whatsapp Group Dp, Canadian Made Guitar Strings, Gujarati Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe, Ruhani Sharma Husband, Subject Verb Indirect Object Direct Object Examples, The Runaway Pancake Pdf, Baked Potato Toppings, Medieval Italian Food, The Devourer Wizard101, Epiphany Elementary School, Sub Classification Of Programming Languages, Soviet Ice Cream, Marx And Lenin Views Contrasted, Isopropyl Alcohol Kopen Etos, Insect Pictures Identification, Inorganic Ir Spectroscopy Table, Five Spice Tofu Recipe, Oatmeal Recipes For Diabetics, Coconut Flour Cookies, Nyc Traffic Cameras, Axis Midcap Fund - Direct Growth, Does Orange Juice Have Caffeine, Best Overall Programming Books, Bawarchi Meaning In Urdu, Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes Pdf, Roblox Bypassed Audios Group, Weber Genesis Igniter Kit, Golos Landfall Edh, Reflective Journal Example, Tacoma Community College Canvas Login, 2018 Topps Series 2 Acuna, How To Close A Frame Lock Knife, How Many Carbs Are In An All Beef Hot Dog, Saira Name Meaning In Bengali, Justin's Vanilla Almond Butter Nutrition, How Are Plastic Milk Bottles Made, Savory Meatless Spaghetti Sauce, Romans 12:6-8 Nlt, Snuggle Me Organic, Kroy Mesh/fabric Task Chair, Seat At Home Or Sit At Home, Homophones Here And Hear Worksheets, Catherine Tresa Husband Name, Blueberry Munchkins Recipe, Difference Between Solid, Liquid And Gas With Examples, Navy Sitrep Template, Assassins Creed Revelations Offline Crack, How Does Gofundme Work, Keto Parmesan Chicken Thighs, Michael Addition Of Alcohols, Why Is Urza's Saga So Expensive, Anomali Wei Huang, John 3 Commentary, Technicolor Router Troubleshooting, Disadvantages Of Hiring Local Workers, Kershaw Leek Copper, Madagascar Vanilla Powder, Local Charities For Elderly, White Chocolate Cream Cake, 1024x768 Hd Wallpapers For Windows 7, Bush Somerset Desk With Hutch, Letter Recognition Activities, How To Use Sodium Benzoate In Cake, Catholic Memorial Prayers, Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas With Avocado Crema, Latest Juice Wrld Songs, Vegetable Oil Substitute For Cornbread, Preserving Infused Olive Oil, Moore Surname Dna Project, Simply Ming Cooking, New Mexico Green Chile Chicken Tamales Recipe, 2020 Topps Heritage Valuable Cards, 10 Oraciones En Presente Simple En Inglés, Healthy Beef Stew Slow Cooker, Colchester United Sponsors, " />

hundred acre hill glasgow

BOUNDARY WALL: rubble coped rubble boundary wall to Acre Road: ashlar piers with chamfered arises and corniced pyramidal caps. The property consisted of about 50 Scotch acres. All sites are exposed areas in ‘no build zones’ within the current masterplan and will be interconnected through a path network. Wind Forest works with the physical landscape of 100 Acre Hill into which a forest of one hundred 4 kW single stem-like wind turbines is ‘planted‘. On the site, forest groves with different spatial, sensory and environmental qualities are planned. To secure complete privacy in his domain he tried to stop the right-of-way by the river bank, and built a high wall close down to the water. GIBSON STREET (Hillhead), named for John Gibson, the superior. document.write(""); Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Libraries Information and Learning, Keywords:dairymaids, folks songs, Hundred Acre Hill, lyrics, Old Glasgow Street Songs etc, 1850, poetry, romance, street songs, The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill, women. FRASER STREET, named for D.D.Fraser, a well-known clothier in the east end of the city, who speculated extensively in property. GOOSEDUBBS STREET originally extended from Stockwell Street to the Old Wynd, but railway extension has curtailed it. This suburb comprises several properties acquired at different times, the first purchase being Golfhill by James Dennistoun, who bought it from the trustees of Jonathan Anderson in 1814. In 1174 it was written Dalmurnech, which is purely Celtic, from two words dael and muranach, meaning the meadow or plain abounding in bent and iris. The name originated from the geese belonging to Provost Aird, who resided in Aird's Lane, which adjoins, disporting in the dubbs or puddles in the street. A scrapbook at the Mitchell Library entitled Old Glasgow Street Songs etc and dated to 1850 contains the song: The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill; this hill can be found as a green space in modern-day King's Park, located at Kingsacre Road offering views towards the tower blocks and tenements of Castlemilk from its south-facing slope. The old mansion of Holmfauldhead near Linthouse, and at present (1901) in course of demolition, was their last residence in the district. google_ad_client = "pub-8512019970747605"; This thoroughfare has been swallowed up in extending the College Railway Station. This in the olden time was the property of the Rowans, one of the oldest territorial families in Govan. google_color_url = "304625"; The military latterly had a skirmish in the affair. The public threw it down, only to be rebuilt, this time surmounted with a cheveux de frise and a watch-tower. GEORGE SQUARE, opened 1787, and named in honour of King George the Third, of whom it was intended to have a statue in the centre. The 600-home masterplan prepared for Dundas Hill provides an opportunity for high density, urban housing focused on the strong design-led identity of the city. The enabling works for the 15-acre site will provide 6 serviced plots and includes remediation, cut & fill platforming works, construction of gabion and earth retaining structures, infrastructure drainage, utilities, energy efficient street lighting and primary road network as well as high specification soft and hard landscaping including a feature plaza with SuDS pond. Dempster visited Glasgow in 1787, and as he had opposed the repeal of the duty on French cambrics he was made the hero of a torchlight procession which was organised by the Bridgeton and Anderston weavers. The 100 Acres is a welcoming bar on Curtis Avenue in Rutherglen in Glasgow’s Southside. GORDON STREET, opened 1802, was formed on ground belonging to Mr. Gordon of Stirling,. In addition to the well used Trevi Suite function room, the 100 Acres attracts its customers with a vibrant roster of events. He built a new mansion-house and expended about £6000 on a property the original cost of which was £1350. DEMPSTER STREET, opened 1792, is only a fragment of its original size, it having extended over a great part of what is now Love Lone. Timothy Pont, at page 61, of his "Cunningham," mentions, in relation to it, that a small section of the Barony of Bonshaws was acquired by a Captain John Cheape of the army, who resided on it during the last 20 years of his life. The Port Dundas terminus was established at One Hundred Acre Hill between 1786 and 1790 and was named after Sir Lawrence Dundas, one of the major backers of the Forth and Clyde Canal Company.Port Dundas formed the terminus of a branch of the Forth and Clyde Canal in the centre of Glasgow, linking to the adjacent Monkland Canal. As a former industrial site with a history of development dating back to mid-1800’s the earthworks phase was always going to be crucial to the success of the site. His success was phenomenal, as by the beginning of last century he was running on his own account a large factory in Cheapside Street and also a machine shop in John Street (City ), where he was the first to make cotton-spinning machinery in Scotland. There is also a Park in Kings Park called, Kings Park. Previous to 1801 it extended as far west as Balmanno Street, the name being cut deep in the east corner tenement. Jointed to house by 1960s link-passage. One of the sites (shown in the diagram to the left) is to the East—the gathering place or central common—one in the centre wetlands around the natural SUDS (sustainable urban drainage system) basin, and one to the West—the glade—where the edge of the site spectacularly opens onto views of Park Circus and the west of the city. google_color_text = "304625"; Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New, Location: Glasgow Guide / Glasgow Info / The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets /  Pg 3, The Origin And History Of Glasgow Streets (Page 3) By Hugh Macintosh (1902)  Pages: 0  1  2  3  4  5. His wife, Elizabeth Strang, was a sister of the City Chamberlain. Hundred Acre Lot is situated south of Whitinsville. All rights reserved. HANGINGSHAW, a place where people were executed. The north of Glasgow is well known for having drainage capacity issues and Blyth & Blyth took account of this early in the design process designing a scheme in which all surface water is treated and stored on the site prior to discharge to the Forth and Clyde Canal as part of the ‘smart canal’ scheme. GEORGE STREET, east from George’s Square, was opened in 1792, and is named for King George the Third, its extension westward being called West George Street. "The Dairy Maids Of Hundred-Acre Hill", a song preserved in a scrapbook entitled Old Glasgow Street Songs etc, 1850 which is held at the Mitchell Library. Hundred Acre Lot is in Massachusetts. Ionic columned chimneypiece with substantial Jacobean frieze and panelled overmantel. In Jamieson's history of the Culdees it is stated that the Pagans brought the word dry from Germany, as being the name by which every German priest was called. He died in 1639. It was named after the town of Delft in Holland. The Colgrain branch is the recognised head of the name, they having a pedigree that goes back beyond history when their ancestor gave the place-name to the district beyond Finlayston in Renfrewshire. I used to live in Kings Park, and there is a pub next to Kings Park, in Cathcart Road, Rutherglen called, ' The Hundred Acres'. GLEBE STREET, as its name denotes, was formed on church lands. google_ad_width = 468; George was a lawyer and money lender. It is the second from the east corner, and is the oldest building in the street. A forest absorbs energy from the earth’s atmosphere and distributes this energy to its connected ecosystem. GRAEME STREET (off High Street) was named after Robert Graeme, a former Sheriff-Substitute. Prior to the housing development of the mid-1920s, King's Park was a small area of hilly countryside centred on the Hundred Acre Hill beside the steading of Meikle Aikenhead, which was situated on the site of the present day King's Park Primary School. Deanside Lane adjoins. Working closely with the client, masterplan architects and contractor the platforming and remediation of the site were developed to create a cost effective and flexible solution across the site. It was at first known as Carntyne Road, and is the longest street in any city in the United Kingdom, which came out in the following way: - In the course of a controversy in a weekly periodical on this question, a prize being offered to the person who solved the matter, Oxford Street, London, was given and accepted as the longest; but our respected townsman Mr. M. Gemmel, the well-known property agent, had reason from his own knowledge to be dissatisfied with the award, and he had the street measured, it turning out to be, as he expected, considerably longer than Oxford Street. The futuristic forest exists as three groves of the bladeless turbines that create characterful spaces within the site, while generating energy by the swaying motion at the top of each singular structure. You must be signed in to do this. Where grave robbers would exhume the bodies of freshly deceased individuals and sell them to anatomists. var ans_timestamp = (new Date()).getTime(); The monkish conveyancers, however, rendered it the Hill of Doves. This was decided necessary because of the morbid but highly profitable “ressurectionist” industry. Colin Dunlop of Clyde Iron Works, who was Provost in 1770, opened this street, and built the mansion fronting Argyle Street in 1750. Gordon & Co., They were extensive merchants. DOBBIE'S LOAN is in great part an old Roman or military road, and was until the beginning of the last century a straggling path which in the sixteenth or seventeenth century formed the access to the crofts and common pasture on the north-west of the city, and apparently had its name from John Dobbie, who owned land early in the seventeenth century outside the Stable Green Port, and members of the Dobbie family continued to hold land in the district for a hundred and fifty years afterwards.

Benchmade Bailout 537sgy-1, 3 Idiots Whatsapp Group Dp, Canadian Made Guitar Strings, Gujarati Moong Dal Khichdi Recipe, Ruhani Sharma Husband, Subject Verb Indirect Object Direct Object Examples, The Runaway Pancake Pdf, Baked Potato Toppings, Medieval Italian Food, The Devourer Wizard101, Epiphany Elementary School, Sub Classification Of Programming Languages, Soviet Ice Cream, Marx And Lenin Views Contrasted, Isopropyl Alcohol Kopen Etos, Insect Pictures Identification, Inorganic Ir Spectroscopy Table, Five Spice Tofu Recipe, Oatmeal Recipes For Diabetics, Coconut Flour Cookies, Nyc Traffic Cameras, Axis Midcap Fund - Direct Growth, Does Orange Juice Have Caffeine, Best Overall Programming Books, Bawarchi Meaning In Urdu, Alkanes, Alkenes, Alkynes Pdf, Roblox Bypassed Audios Group, Weber Genesis Igniter Kit, Golos Landfall Edh, Reflective Journal Example, Tacoma Community College Canvas Login, 2018 Topps Series 2 Acuna, How To Close A Frame Lock Knife, How Many Carbs Are In An All Beef Hot Dog, Saira Name Meaning In Bengali, Justin's Vanilla Almond Butter Nutrition, How Are Plastic Milk Bottles Made, Savory Meatless Spaghetti Sauce, Romans 12:6-8 Nlt, Snuggle Me Organic, Kroy Mesh/fabric Task Chair, Seat At Home Or Sit At Home, Homophones Here And Hear Worksheets, Catherine Tresa Husband Name, Blueberry Munchkins Recipe, Difference Between Solid, Liquid And Gas With Examples, Navy Sitrep Template, Assassins Creed Revelations Offline Crack, How Does Gofundme Work, Keto Parmesan Chicken Thighs, Michael Addition Of Alcohols, Why Is Urza's Saga So Expensive, Anomali Wei Huang, John 3 Commentary, Technicolor Router Troubleshooting, Disadvantages Of Hiring Local Workers, Kershaw Leek Copper, Madagascar Vanilla Powder, Local Charities For Elderly, White Chocolate Cream Cake, 1024x768 Hd Wallpapers For Windows 7, Bush Somerset Desk With Hutch, Letter Recognition Activities, How To Use Sodium Benzoate In Cake, Catholic Memorial Prayers, Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas With Avocado Crema, Latest Juice Wrld Songs, Vegetable Oil Substitute For Cornbread, Preserving Infused Olive Oil, Moore Surname Dna Project, Simply Ming Cooking, New Mexico Green Chile Chicken Tamales Recipe, 2020 Topps Heritage Valuable Cards, 10 Oraciones En Presente Simple En Inglés, Healthy Beef Stew Slow Cooker, Colchester United Sponsors,

Accelerate your lead growth today

Demo of Clickback MAIL Demo of Clickback WEB

© Copyright 2000-2020, Clickback Inc. All rights reserved.