B2B IP Address Trackers and GDPR: What You Need to Know

B2B IP Address Trackers and GDPR: What You Need to Know

Since it was introduced in May 2018, GDPR has been a major topic of conversation in the world of marketing. Its implications for channels such as email lead generation are clear, but what about other tools?

 

Many B2B marketing teams use IP address trackers to maximize their website ROI. In this post, we’ll examine what IP address trackers are (in a marketing context), and how GDPR impacts their functionality.

 

B2B IP Address Trackers and GDPR: What You Need to Know

 

In a marketing context, a B2B IP address tracker is a software tool that marketers use to generate more leads from their website.

 

When someone visits your website, they might not convert. In fact, they probably won’t – only approximately 2% of your website traffic will ever fill out a form. The other 98% are missed opportunities.

 

They don’t have to be, though. When someone visits your site, they leave behind a clue – their IP address. Software like Clickback WEB makes use of that information to identify companies that visited your site, but didn’t convert.

 

You then get a list of potential leads at those companies – sorted according to your custom criteria – complete with accurate contact data. If a company is considering your product, it’s worth your while to reach out to them.

 

Note how we said it identifies companies, not people. That’s a key point in how GDPR impacts these IP address trackers.

 

GDPR in a Nutshell

The EU General Data Protection Regulation is a set of rules that determine how companies have to handle personal data. Its goal is to protect the privacy and security of individuals’ personal information.

 

If you have a customer from an EU country and collect any data about them, you are subject to the enforcement of GDPR. The GDPR defines personal data as “any information which are related to an identified or an identifiable natural person.”

 

It gives an example:

                For example, the telephone, credit card or personnel number of a person, account data, number plate, appearance, customer number or address are all personal data.

 

Summarized, GDPR covers any data that is connected to a specific individual. It also details rules for transparency, permissions, and gives each individual particular rights related to their data.

 

For example, the “right to be forgotten” means that an individual can request that a company delete their data, and the company must comply.

 

GDPR and IP Address Trackers

Clickback WEB, as an exclusively B2B tool, is completely GDPR-compliant. Remember earlier we mentioned how it identifies companies, not personal information?

 

GDPR protects individuals’ personal data. Clickback WEB accesses and provides exclusively business-related information, not personal data, and so doesn’t breach GDPR.

 

It’s a game-changing tool that turns missed opportunities into new leads. Start a 14-day free trial and discover the leads you’ve been missing on your website.

 

 

Accelerate your lead growth today

Demo of Clickback MAIL Demo of Clickback WEB

© Copyright 2000-2019, Clickback Inc. All rights reserved.